Wednesday, April 11, 2012

THE MAN WITH THE VIBES


Exclusive interview with Vibes FM's boss 

 

The role of media in the development of a country is very crucial, especially with regards to The Gambian entertainment scene which has been suffering many setbacks for ages now. Momodou Siray Jallow a veteran radio Presenter/Disc Jockey widely known as DJ Mo, the music terminator started as a DJ in 1983 at Safari Night Club, Brikama and then in 1993 we started working at the then Radio 1 FM as a presenter and deejay from there he moved to West coast radio in1997 where he was managing the affairs of the radio station for almost ten years. During his course of stay at West Coast radio he was into promotion of Gambian music, givng the local artists platform to expose their talent. In 2001, he single handedly produced the compilation called OneGambia which featured many local artists.


Sanna - You were last heard on west coast radio before starting your own radio station. How was it when you left them to start your own radio station? 
 
I just saw things going not the way I wanted to be in West Coast radio, because I managed that radio for almost ten years before it was sold to the present owner. When he bought it he decided to change things and things were not working right, and as for me things were not going the right way so I decided to start my own radio.
Sanna - How far are you willing to go with Vibes FM? 
 
Well I have said this over and over again that I want vibes FM to be nationwide and thats my target and secondly we are hear to build Gambian music, though most people will think that Vibes FM is not playing even 50 percent of Gambian music but we are planning to put up with good Gambian music. Not all music produced in the Gambia are good to be broadcasted on air.

Sanna - Have you ever considered starting a TV station here?

No.. Thats not my area because I don't know nothing about TV, all I know is radio thats where I have experience in because setting up a radio didn't take me more than thirty minutes. So for me TV is not for me.
Sanna - What are the innovative progammes do you have that your competitors don't?

We have a lot of programmes since we started, but (starts emphasizing) most people will listen to our programmes and remodify it and use it. Pura should take care of all the programmes in the radio stations to stop the piracy since they are the regulatory body. We are not even two years old but since we started, which program have we changed! We didn't change anything! but take for instance the other radios and check what they were doing before and what they are doing now. Since we started, all the radios are changing.. changing.. trying to catch up with Vibes. (laughs) but I dont blame them because I think they can't compete with Vibes FM when it comes to music because thats my area .

Sanna - What do you make of the competition between you and the other radio stations?

Well for me I used to say this, I have no competition. No radio station can boast up and say that they are nationwide . There is no radio station that have strong signal there. So were is the competition, the competition is in the Greater Banjul area and all I see is grudge not even healthy competition which is not the way a radio should market itself. Just six months ago we experienced frequency interferences, other radios interfering with our frequency signal which was sorted by PURA.

Sanna - Your radio's online presence is felt by many locally. What kind of feedbacks do you get from those abroad?

We are licensed to broadcast on air thats our priority but we go online so that we can have Gambians aroad to listen to us and feel at home.

Sanna -  How is the business side of Vibes FM. Are you making more money now than when you started tansmission last year?

We are not making money, to tell you the truth am not looking for money to be rich. I want to do radio and employ Gambians and pay them. If I want to make money I will go to other areas. Thats why when I came in I paid a five year license without even making a butut.
Sanna - How is your radio's coverage range?

We are going far across foni Bintang Karanai. They do call us with strong signals with no interference and PURA should look into it because in the Gambia its a problem. E.g if you are broadcasting on 106.1 and a radio in Foni broadcasting on lets say 105.9.. that radio would interfere with our frequency. They should know about the frequency and its the fact.

Sanna - How are you dealing with censorship in the country?

Well when I was given license to broadcast I was not told do this and don't do that.. I wrote my project plan and took it to them and they approved it and for us we are 90 percent music and we don't deal with politics or sensitive news that will give us problem.

Sanna - As a veteran DJ, dont you think radios should start paying royalties to the artists?

No ! I don't think they should pay royalties because we are not yet in that position to do that and thats a fact-- We are not making money, people think that when the copyright law come into force every play on air will be paid for not knowing that all the reggae and hip hop labels will also send their people here to collect their royalties as well. The Gambia government will not say 100 percent Gambian music, thats not posibble. Ppeople should know that not just by putting your demo or single on air you should be paid for it. Number one you have to go register and they will see whether you are the owner of the lyrics and whether you have not copied anyone... So it is a very long process..

Sanna - Are you content with the standard of music our brothers and sisters make to be played on Vibes FM?

Well I don't interfere with my Djs when they play their songs, They can play any Gambian music but if you listen to my shows, I play very good Gambian music. For me if we want Gambian music to hit internationally we have to sing in English... Many people think that all the time we should sing in the local dialect.. local dialect stops here in the Gambia. Its good though if you want to hit The Gambia but when it comes to the international market you have to sing in English also.


Sanna - Tell us about your achievements so far?
Yea.. well, when I was in Radio 1, I was the first to start pushing Gambian music even George Christen would say that. And when I left Radio 1 for west coast, there I was into so much promotions in night clubs and so on in those days but it came at a time where I felt that I should give chance to the young ones for them to take up the challenge, after doing OneGambia Vol1 and Vol2. 
Sanna - Since you started transmission. How many young people have joined you so far?

More than twenty Gambian youths have joined me and are employed.
Sanna - What do you have to say to those aspiring to where you are and anything you wish to say?
Let them just keep the faith in anything they want to do and with respect. My last word is for people to come patronise Vibes FM because it is Gambian.










 

No comments: